Raising Honeybees in the Suburbs

After taking a few entomology classes at the University of Minnesota. I discovered with fascination the world of insects, especially honey bees. It will be my seventh year as a beekeeper and I am sure a new adventure as well.

Tuesday, August 10, 2010

Sharing a Little bit of Knowlege...priceless!

Sunday August 8, I inspected the "swarmed/old queen" colony in Chanhassen. A dear friend of mine joined me in this endeavor. With our veils and bee suits tightly zipped up, hive tool, smoker and reading glasses ready we proceeded to inspect the hive. The honey bees were gentle and calm, as I was explaining what I was doing. I really enjoy showing and telling people about bees; they are so fascinating to me.

We were very lucky that day indeed; everything that could be seen in a hive...We saw! The drones with their big eyes, the busy workers gathering pollen and nectar, and even the blue queen. Eggs, and different stages of larvae have been observed using our reading glasses and the magnifier! I showed her brood, pollen, nectar and honey on frames. As I was explaining , my friend was asking more and more questions... we were like two kids discovering! I was so happy to share my bees and their life, and why they are so important to us. She also took the time to listen to the soothing buzzing of the hive. The colony is well, busy and healthy. And this is good and appreciated. I have hope again for this hive.
We were hot and completely drenched as the temperature was already 92F (33C). But it did not matter, we were together, happy watching the honey bees.

Before closing the colony, I told my friend to unzip her veil and to dip her finger on the frame to taste the golden honey. Her face lit up with a huge smile... the honey was warm and sweet like nothing she had ever tasted before. I grinned back telling her that I was happy she had come.

This day is something she will not forget, and I was delighted to share something dear to me with her.


No comments:

Post a Comment