Raising Honeybees in the Suburbs

After taking a few entomology classes at the University of Minnesota. I discovered with fascination the world of insects, especially honey bees. It will be my seventh year as a beekeeper and I am sure a new adventure as well.

Saturday, November 06, 2010

The Last Chore

On the first week of November, Ben and I did our last chore at the apiaries. It was a beautiful sunny day but somewhat a little cold 42 F (5 C), but I had to remember that it was November. As we approached the 2 colonies in Chanhassen, Ben who was walking in front of me and seeing the hives before I did, got a little agitated. "Where are the bees? I don't see any bees...Oh! They 're all gone, I can't hear them...where are they?" We opened the first hive body... nothing...no bees, no sounds. We removed the first hive body and put it aside, and there our bees were sitting pretty and calm on top of the second box. They had managed to scare us, one more time! But then they saw us and came out, flying gently around us, as to say: "Hey, we are here do not worry!" I whispered to them to have a safe and healthy winter, and that we will be back in the spring. I petted few of them gently. It is funny, I think they knew that was it for the season.

After my goodbyes Ben proceeded, to place an absorbing wood board on top, and then slid a waxed cardboard carton over each hive to protect the honeybees against the frigid Northwest wind. He replaced the covers and put many rocks and bricks on them to make sure they will stay put. We then backed away, looked at the hives one more time wishing them well. We walked slowly to our car. That was it, the season was over. There is nothing else we can do for our precious honeybees. They are on their own, and we really wish them to be successful and be healthy and strong come next spring.

We repeated these last same steps in Shakopee. The golden Italian bees had returned to their own hive. The darker Carniolans were at peace in their own hive... they have fought an aggressive invasion in October, many died and they lost some honey. Hopefully they will have enough food to survive. I waved goodbye, and wished them well.

What an adventure it has been, and despite the ups and downs, the unknowns, and strange happenings; we enjoyed every minute of it. And along the way the bees taught us a lot: first of all they are a capable species that is combative, hard working and self reliant.

We wish to all our friends and families a good, safe and healthy winter. Thank you for being interested in bees. During the winter months I will be posting what we are doing and thinking for next year, and please if you have any questions, I would be happy to answer them.

"Bee" well,
Karine


In Chanhassen

1. Ben placed a moisture board on top.


2. Now the cardboard.

3. Ben closes the carton, leaving the exit hole open.
4. Voila! Ready for winter.



In Shakopee

1. Moisture board in place, and carton next.



2. Yes! well done!

3. Placing the cover a little
"crooked" to let the moisture escape.
Look at those 2 beekeepers....they look so proud!!!!

Karine at the Chanhassen apiary and Ben at the Shakopee apiary.


1 comment:

  1. I love reading your blog! This was a great post. Hoping the bees are all buzzing about a few months from now.

    ReplyDelete