Raising Honeybees in the Suburbs

After taking a few entomology classes at the University of Minnesota. I discovered with fascination the world of insects, especially honey bees. It will be my seventh year as a beekeeper and I am sure a new adventure as well.

Saturday, April 23, 2011

The Package is Installed

New honeybee package

April, 23 2011

Chanhassen: I was lucky this year, I did not have to drive to Stillwater, MN after all to get my package of honeybees.  Someone picked them up for me, and I got them on Thursday (4/21) afternoon. Since it was gloomy, rainy and grey on Friday, the package waited in the garage. I sprayed the bees with sugar syrup every 4 to 6 hours, mostly to calm them.
The honeybees travel from California with a can of syrup, so I knew they had food. As you can see in the package they cluster, to keep themselves and the queen warm and safe.
At this point, the queen is in an individual cage, and has been with this group of bees for 4 days. The 3,000 honeybees  are not related to the queen. The queen has been raised and mated in sunny California. Now she has all the eggs she will need in her lifetime. However, by placing the queen in a "queen-cage" protects her from being killed, and at the same time, she is able to disseminate her pheromone "her specific scent" to her "adopted" honeybees. Therefore when I put them in their hive, the honeybees will accept her readily.

More on the installation later.



No comments:

Post a Comment