Raising Honeybees in the Suburbs

After taking a few entomology classes at the University of Minnesota. I discovered with fascination the world of insects, especially honey bees. It will be my seventh year as a beekeeper and I am sure a new adventure as well.

Wednesday, January 11, 2012

Winter is Coming!

                                                         Happy New Year Everyone!

                 Can you believe that yesterday January 10, 2012 it was 52F (11C) and 48 hours later it will be 10F! (-12C). That's crazy for us!!! But what about for the bees? I am sure they were enjoying the fine weather, eating their reserves steadily, and being cozy in their hives. I hope the queens did not decide to produce eggs...as those will be doomed because of the sudden cold. As the temperatures start plummeting, the honeybees will go back together in a tighter cluster than during the last past weeks, ignoring the eggs by not "covering" them with their bodies. Oh, well honeybees have been around longer than us on this planet, they should know what to do to survive. However in the back of my mind, I wonder. Is this abrupt cold snap going to affect the colonies in the spring? I know they have enough honey and pollen. They did not eat as voraciously as when there is a normal Minnesotan winter...but still. There is no snow insulating , covering and protecting the hives. I guess I will have to be patient and wait until March  to take a look.

No comments:

Post a Comment