Raising Honeybees in the Suburbs

After taking a few entomology classes at the University of Minnesota. I discovered with fascination the world of insects, especially honey bees. It will be my seventh year as a beekeeper and I am sure a new adventure as well.

Tuesday, March 13, 2012

Visit Shakopee with a Friend!

A very good helper!
I went to visit the bees in Shakopee with my friend Mary today! After few attempt at lighting the matches, we finally got the smoker going. We walked the long dryer but bare pumpkin field; glad we had our boots. What a fabulous welcome...the bees were buzzing around in the warmth air. We could see very  light yellow pollen on their hind legs. They were bringing a lot of  it.  Mary was using the smoker and I was removing the cartons and moisture boards. I did not pull out any frames, the bees don't need to be bothered too much so early in the season. Let them be bees :)
The green hive, more populous had devoured the pollen patty that Ben and I had put only a week ago! I gave the honeybees a full pollen  patty, one pound. However, the purple hive which has less bees was also bringing in  pollen as well, but they did not eat as much. So, I just gave them 1/2 a patty. Now that their black covers and their moisture boards are removed, I hope Spring is really here to stay. Mary and I watch the honeybees for a while...they were really busy. And that's a good sign.

No comments:

Post a Comment