Raising Honeybees in the Suburbs

After taking a few entomology classes at the University of Minnesota. I discovered with fascination the world of insects, especially honey bees. It will be my seventh year as a beekeeper and I am sure a new adventure as well.

Saturday, March 02, 2013

Spring is in the Air!

Willow in my herb planter, last summer!


I know spring is close when Willow, our 11 year old cat wants to go on the deck to check things out! She never goes outside after Halloween, and start asking to go out when the temperatures are on the rise. I don't know how she knows...but she is always right :)

On the bee side, I am still hopeful that they all made it through the winter. I am planning on checking on each hive in the next 10 days,or so. However, I hear and read a lot about honey bees that did not survive, and not having enough bees to pollinate the crops this season. 

It is still a little bit too cold to open the hives, and take a look. When the temperature will be around 40F (4C), I will give the bees a pollen patty if they need it ( meaning if they have eaten all their supply already). Remember , the first dandelions are in bloom around April 15. However, some trees like the willows,  maples and few others will be blooming before that time.




I gave a presentation about the honeybee through time, at the Arboretum in February to a group of wonderful ladies. I really love to talk about honeybees, beekeeping and pollinators. I am always amazed how much people know about bees and their difficulties. The questions asked are always pertinent and the desire to learn is great. I love it!

It is not to early to think about planting a pollinator garden. Native plants are the best! Those little "oasis" of good pollen and nectar sources are wonderful not only for my golden darlings but also for hummingbirds, butterflies,  bats, and bumblebees.

1 comment:

  1. Willow is such a sweetie. Nice job presenting at the arb!

    ReplyDelete