Raising Honeybees in the Suburbs

After taking a few entomology classes at the University of Minnesota. I discovered with fascination the world of insects, especially honey bees. It will be my seventh year as a beekeeper and I am sure a new adventure as well.

Wednesday, July 03, 2013

The Bees and Summer

The hives are getting taller!

We finally can say that Summer is here! After a difficult Spring, and very wet June...the bees are happier. Our 7 hives are doing fine now. The queens are all healthy, and busy laying eggs. The foragers come back with loads of pollen on their legs! Now that we had few days in the 80's F (26C), they are collecting a lot of nectar. While driving, it is good to see that there are many plants in bloom for the bees. I hope the weather will stay warm and sunny for few weeks encouraging the foragers! Since mid-June I put many supers (box to collect honey). The hives are really tall...some are now as tall as I am!

I was so busy in June with the queens, and trying to save the colonies that I forgot to tell you that Nicolas and I are doing 2 Farmers' Market selling our honey! 

Nicolas and Karine selling honey!

We are in St. Boni (Wednesdays 3-7pm) and St.Louis Park ( 10-2pm) Farmers' Market once a month. In July we will be in St. Louis Park on July 9, and St. Boni July 24. If you have a time, come and stop by!



Happy 4th. of July!



No comments:

Post a Comment