Raising Honeybees in the Suburbs

After taking a few entomology classes at the University of Minnesota. I discovered with fascination the world of insects, especially honey bees. It will be my seventh year as a beekeeper and I am sure a new adventure as well.

Saturday, June 21, 2014

First Day of Summer!


Bumblebee on my Nepeta (catnip) in my garden
This week was "Pollinator Week", there were few events in many parks in St. Paul and Minneapolis. But for me it is always pollinator week;)

After so much rain, I was wondering how the bees were doing. I went to visit them yesterday June 20, 2014 the last day of Spring!

Next week, starting with today first day of Summer should be warm and sunny...just like the bees like it.

Hives at the Farm in Chanhassen





The Italian Bees in Chanhassen on the farm are doing well, especially hive 3 and 4. I put 2 supers on them. They now have 3 brood chambers and 2 supers!
Hive 2 is coming along, I added a third brood box.
The first hive is very agitated, and I did not see any eggs. I had given them a frame with eggs and brood but so far no queen cell built...we will see.


The field was extremely wet and saturated, so much so that my car  got stuck in the mud! Hopefully my friend Liz was there and she called a gentleman who came within 3 minutes with his 4 wheeler and got me out in no time! 



The Russian bees on the Prairie in Chanhassen    
New queen cell

Hive 1 has decided that the queen they made not long ago was not suitable, I don't know why. Therefore they decided to make a new queen cell. I have to wait and see. I am bit worry because this hive has not a lot of bees. In 10 days, I hope I will see a new queen. However it is becoming late to "start" a new colony, I may have to combine this small hive with another.

Hive 2 is just fine, 2 brood boxes, lots of bees and it has 2 supers!

At least one Russian colony is doing well.

Keeping bees keeps me on my toes, there is always something going on and one has to stay vigilant.

Enjoy Summer...we deserve it!






No comments:

Post a Comment