Raising Honeybees in the Suburbs

After taking a few entomology classes at the University of Minnesota. I discovered with fascination the world of insects, especially honey bees. It will be my seventh year as a beekeeper and I am sure a new adventure as well.

Tuesday, March 17, 2015

Early Pollen in Minnesota!

Bee entering the hive with pollen on her legs

Sunday March 15, 2015 was a spectacular day...warm and sunny. The bees were taking advantage of the beautiful day and were collecting a lot of pollen for this early in the season.



Honey bees bringing back the beautiful yellow pollen.












Close up of the packed legs. I also saw some white, and darker yellow pollen.

It is great to see the bees foraging, and be healthy.

Monday, I visited my Russian bees... I saw the original queen (she is painted!) and saw some eggs. Cleaned up the bottom board, and gave them a couple of frames of honey and a bit of pollen patty. I guess spring is here.
 Love it!



I used a long stick to clean the bottom board,
it is less disruptive than
taking each box off.

No comments:

Post a Comment