Raising Honeybees in the Suburbs

After taking a few entomology classes at the University of Minnesota. I discovered with fascination the world of insects, especially honey bees. It will be my seventh year as a beekeeper and I am sure a new adventure as well.

Wednesday, July 22, 2015

My Tallest Hives Ever!

These 2 hives are really tall!
July 21, 2015

After just one week of my last visit, I had to add one more super on each of my Italian colony. It is so high that I needed to bring a step-stool so I could place the super on top. I was on my tippi toes, on the step stool and tried to balance the ventilation box and cover!

I made it but next time I would need a ladder! No Joke!
Those 2 hives have 3 brood boxes (bottom ones), he rest are honey supers...you can see that they both have one deep super! This weigh about 50-60 pounds.

Conclusion...we will extract and have some honey this season.

The Russian colony, is the same as last week: still small, but I saw eggs, larvae and pupae. The queen is not that great of a layer. I don't see how it can make it through next winter. It does not have enough foragers so they are not collecting much of anything. It is sad to see.

This is beekeeping, we do the best that we can to have healthy and prosperous bees but sometimes there is nothing more we can do to help them...this is nature.



No comments:

Post a Comment