Raising Honeybees in the Suburbs

After taking a few entomology classes at the University of Minnesota. I discovered with fascination the world of insects, especially honey bees. It will be my seventh year as a beekeeper and I am sure a new adventure as well.

Tuesday, August 04, 2015

Good Honey Production!

Ben replacing the ventilation box!


I needed help to look into the supers, to see how much nectar was capped. I wanted to know when  we will be able to harvest this year.
The weather has been perfect for the foragers to gather lots of surplus nectar! The bees are working very hard. When we opened the hives, they smelled very sweet...I love it!

Both Italian colonies have many supers on,  it is so tall that even with a step stool I cannot reach the top...and besides it is too heavy for me to lift way over my head! This is why I need a helper!

The first colony has 3 deep brood boxes, and 5 regular supers and one deep super. A regular super weighs about 40 pounds and a deep super 50-60 pounds!
The second colony has  also 3 deep brood boxes, and 3 regular supers and 2 deep supers!

When I put those deep supers on , frankly I was not thinking... I will not do that again!  Way too heavy to lift, and to carry around. See I do learn!

We are planning to  extract during Labor Day weekend, September 5, 6 and 7th.

Happy Beekeeping!

No comments:

Post a Comment