Raising Honeybees in the Suburbs

After taking a few entomology classes at the University of Minnesota. I discovered with fascination the world of insects, especially honey bees. It will be my seventh year as a beekeeper and I am sure a new adventure as well.

Saturday, January 16, 2010

After a Rough Start




Even if the holes for the nails were made, it was hard to pound those 2 1/2" galvanized nails into the wood panels. After experimenting with the hammer and smashing our fingers too many times while trying to build our first body hive, Nicolas and I decided to give it a rest for few days. I think we were too excited to get going. Ben, my husband-engineer came to the rescue. He decided to drill each hole with his electric drill to enable the nails to get in smoothly. "smart!" Then he took a look at our first box. Strengthening it, reinforcing the sides, and fixing the gaps!


Strengthening and fixing the mistakes!


Now we were back in business. Ben, and I glued and hammered along while Nicolas helped us after school.
Nicolas hammering the frames together, and placing them in the medium-super.




















After 5 hours, and about 800 nails later we had build our first beehive! We assembled everything, from hive body, supers, telescoping cover and frames. Did you know a frame is held by 8 nails? We build 40 frames! We were proud and happy!!!

Now I will have to paint it with 2 or 3 coats of exterior latex paint...can't wait!



No comments:

Post a Comment