Raising Honeybees in the Suburbs

After taking a few entomology classes at the University of Minnesota. I discovered with fascination the world of insects, especially honey bees. It will be my seventh year as a beekeeper and I am sure a new adventure as well.

Sunday, January 24, 2010

Painting, painting, and painting some more!




This has been a busy week. Ben built one more hive...and close to 80 more frames. This is a lot of nails, actually more than a thousand. But of course it looks beautiful, and perfect too! I applied the second coat of paint on our first hive. It is a cool light green. Light colors are usually chosen because during the hot summers, the sun's rays are reflected making the bee house cooler. The first hive should be done this week, and I'll start painting the second one. I also ordered my bees and queens. They come in a package of 3 pounds each. One pound is about 4,500 bees. We will pick them up in late April.

No comments:

Post a Comment