Raising Honeybees in the Suburbs

After taking a few entomology classes at the University of Minnesota. I discovered with fascination the world of insects, especially honey bees. It will be my seventh year as a beekeeper and I am sure a new adventure as well.

Sunday, June 20, 2010

Location and Well Being

Nicolas and his father observing the bees

June 16th, 2010. Ben, Nicolas and I visited the colonies in Shakopee, and it was obvious that they were not ready yet to have a third body hive added. Although both beehives looked great, and prolific; the colonies are "behind" in terms of filling up each frame with brood, pollen,honey and nectar. I would say that about half the frames are filled out. I believe the location has to play a significant role in that observation. Even if the field has been planted and few fruit trees have been added, as a whole the land is still relatively bare from a honey bee standpoint. They would have to forage far away to get the pollen and nectar needed to increase their population. If they fly further away, they get tired easily, and die sooner too. They are still drinking and eating what we are giving them, so in theory we still have to feed them because I learned that honey bees would rather eat " real" food from nature than the man made one.

It has been rainy here since the first of June, so the bees don't get out too much then... they hate the rain and being damp. I don't blame them...Who enjoys that kind of weather anyway? Ducks perhaps?

Nicolas contemplated the bees with interest; he even saw one being born! He got a good close-up with the magnifier. In addition, he got the first taste at "our" honey: I took a frame with capped honey and dip my finger into it...I opened his veil and stuck my index in his mouth. " Wow!!! That's very sweet!" What a treat!
We will let them be (no pun intended!) for 10 days, and see what the honey bees will concoct for us next.

No comments:

Post a Comment