Raising Honeybees in the Suburbs

After taking a few entomology classes at the University of Minnesota. I discovered with fascination the world of insects, especially honey bees. It will be my seventh year as a beekeeper and I am sure a new adventure as well.

Thursday, June 10, 2010

A regular Simple Visit



At last it was a simple visit with no anxiety. I am proud to report that our three colonies are doing well. They are all progressing nicely; for each the laying pattern is solid and uniform, lots of eggs present, few drones, some pollen and honey.

The weather really impact the honey bees; they are very peculiar in that domain. when it is gray, they don't like it so much and stay closer around their hive. They despise rain, and then don't venture outside. I saw the result of our first week of June which was rather wet, cloudy and humid. They ate ALL the food we gave them last. Everything was empty, the pails dry and the pollen patties devoured! As a consequence, we gave them some more syrup and patties. The other night at my monthly MN Hobby Beekeepers Association meeting, I was reminded that I should feed the bees until they don't take what we give them. I was reassured to hear that honey bees prefer real authentic nectar and pollen rather than the sugary potion and man made patties. I hope their eating habit will ease soon, it's like feeding a teenager!
I think that the hive in Chanhassen is almost ready for a third large hive body, we will check on Monday. I had spotted a couple of mites in the Green colony in Shakopee, so we remove the bottom board, and replace it with a screened bottom board. The idea is that once a mite falls off , it can crawl back on! We will see. Nothing alarming...yet!


On this picture, you can see on top, the whitish delicate wax that covers the honey. Just below it is capped brood, more yellowish. Soon new bees will emerge from those neat cells.




Here, on this one, you can see the little "c"shaped larvae in the center, and on top glisteningis nectar.








Below honey bees at work!

No comments:

Post a Comment