Raising Honeybees in the Suburbs

After taking a few entomology classes at the University of Minnesota. I discovered with fascination the world of insects, especially honey bees. It will be my seventh year as a beekeeper and I am sure a new adventure as well.

Friday, May 09, 2014

The New Bees in Chanhassen


In Chanhassen, Minnesota:

 April 14, 2014 -- I hived 4 honey bee packages of Italians
 April 21, 2014--  I hived 2 honey bee packages of Russians

They must still be wondering why it is so cold and rainy. Let's not forget that the Italian bees come from California, and the Russian bees from Kentucky!

I visited them few days after I installed them, the Italian queens were already laying eggs after only 5 days in the new homes.

The Russian queens are a bit more finicky about the weather and if it is cool, and/or rainy they will just wait until better warmer days! They have a bit of eggs and capped brood but not as much as the prolific Italians.

Russian Colonies

Italian Colonies
See the eggs! 

No comments:

Post a Comment