Raising Honeybees in the Suburbs

After taking a few entomology classes at the University of Minnesota. I discovered with fascination the world of insects, especially honey bees. It will be my seventh year as a beekeeper and I am sure a new adventure as well.

Friday, April 20, 2012

First Visit of New Colonies in Chanhassen



This afternoon, April 20 2012 I visited the colonies in Chanhassen . I was happy to see that each colony had a laying queen. Long live the Queen! However I did not look or see any of the  queens. I was focused on seeing eggs. This is the first sign that the queen is alive, and accepted by the colony.


                                       
Honeybee eggs



Although we don't see a lot of flowers yet , the bees seem to find yellow and orange pollen. I could see them coming in the hive, their little legs packed with loads of pollen. There was also abundant new nectar in the frames. These bees won't have to work so hard this year . Building wax cells was mostly done by the bees that died this Spring. Making wax is time consuming for a bee and exhausting. So they will have to clean up some cells, gather pollen and nectar and ensure that the queen is well. Not bad!


I also had company in the apiary today, 3 generations of Vogels. That was great!
The honeybees drank most of their sugar syrup, and ate almost all of their pollen patties. I replenished everything. They are lucky, the honeybees are among dandelions, their favorite flowers! I am hoping for a little bit of warmer temperatures ...perhaps soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment