Raising Honeybees in the Suburbs

After taking a few entomology classes at the University of Minnesota. I discovered with fascination the world of insects, especially honey bees. It will be my seventh year as a beekeeper and I am sure a new adventure as well.

Sunday, April 22, 2012

New Hive Was Installed!

Nicolas checking!


Nicolas and I went to our new location in Chanhassen Sunday April 22, 2012. We installed the new hive, making sure it was tilted forward just a bit. This help with the evacuation of rain/water that would otherwise stay inside the wooden box, dampening the whole place. Honeybees detest dampness. 
The hive is on a beautiful restored prairie, and the proprietors made a little spot with mulch for the beehive to rest. This is an awesome location. There is some protection in the back from a wood pile and in the front few trees, and soon plenty of food for the bees. Now I just have to wait for the post office's phone call, "to let me know that my bee package has arrived and get here quickly, please!" Monday or Tuesday, we will see.

This will be our 7th. hive! Happy Earth Day!

No comments:

Post a Comment