Raising Honeybees in the Suburbs

After taking a few entomology classes at the University of Minnesota. I discovered with fascination the world of insects, especially honey bees. It will be my seventh year as a beekeeper and I am sure a new adventure as well.

Wednesday, April 25, 2012

The Russian Bees are Settling

April 24, 2012



I went to see the Russian bees in the afternoon to make sure they were doing fine. After 20 some hours the bees had not removed the grass that Theresa had stuffed in the smallest entrance. I removed all of it, opened the cover to checked if they could drink the syrup, and the bees could. Obviously when I opened up the colony, the honeybees were flying all  around discovering their new surrounding, they were buzzing loudly with energy. I watched them for a bit, and could see that they were investigating the flowers on a tree nearby. I was also  observing closely if the foragers were getting in and out of the hive without any problems; and they were. Satisfied, I closed up everything watching the cloud of bees in the sun.  The honeybees seemed "happy" to finally fly instead of being contained. My inspection was done. I will return Sunday to check if the queen has been accepted and is laying. The Russian bees are settling in nicely!

No comments:

Post a Comment