Raising Honeybees in the Suburbs

After taking a few entomology classes at the University of Minnesota. I discovered with fascination the world of insects, especially honey bees. It will be my seventh year as a beekeeper and I am sure a new adventure as well.

Friday, April 23, 2010

Day One After Hiving the Packages


Today, we checked each colony to make sure the honey bees were drinking the syrup from the pails, and that they were congregating under the inner-cover in the center of the box. All 3 beehives seemed to be just fine. The only difference that I could perceived was that the colony that perhaps does not have a queen, was busier, noisier than the 2 others, but maybe I am reading in too much. We will see on Tuesday, if we can see few eggs or not and make an accurate diagnostic, and proceed. If there is no queen that colony is doomed to die entirely. It is a "game" of patience..I have to be Zen about it! But I have a back up plan too!

No comments:

Post a Comment