Raising Honeybees in the Suburbs

After taking a few entomology classes at the University of Minnesota. I discovered with fascination the world of insects, especially honey bees. It will be my seventh year as a beekeeper and I am sure a new adventure as well.

Friday, April 23, 2010

The Honey Bees are Home



Jim's place and the zillions of honey bees














3 packages and 3 queens, loaded in the car!

Thursday April 22,Ben and I drove to Stillwater, MN.We got our little darlings and drove back home proudly!










A bee package: Notice the beautiful clump















The packages are waiting in the garage


Then, Ben and I hived 2 packages in Shakopee. I hived mine first, and it went well...I was so proud of myself! Like a kid :)









Ben showing his honey bees!


Ben spraying the bees with sugar syrup to calm them



Ben "shaking" the honey bees into the hive

Ben, removing the staple from the queen cage

Ben was doing great, until when he released the queen as he thinks he saw her fly away.
Nicolas hived his own package after school and did a great job too! I released the queen myself, to make sure that she would be in her house without any trouble.

Ben was a little sad about the possibility that the queen might not be in the beehive, but sincerely those things happens to the best beekeeper in the world. So, now we have to wait at least until Tuesday April 27, to go and check to see if the queen is present or not. The best way to determine that, is to look for eggs, indeed the queen is the only one who can do this job. I am afraid that it is going to be a long 4-5 days of waiting, and wondering. Beekeeping really teaches to be patient!

We are now officially Beekeepers! What a great feeling!

Take a look at our video: Hiving a Package


1 comment: