Raising Honeybees in the Suburbs

After taking a few entomology classes at the University of Minnesota. I discovered with fascination the world of insects, especially honey bees. It will be my seventh year as a beekeeper and I am sure a new adventure as well.

Sunday, April 25, 2010

The Long Wait


Since, we hived the packages last Thursday, I have been busy looking into the possibility to replace the probable missing queen. The act of replacing the queen in itself is not difficult. I was worried that I would have a hard time finding/purchasing a new queen; they are in such great demands all over the United States, especially during spring...that I had doubts. However, I found 2 suppliers in Minnesota which are reliable, and well-known from the beekeepers' community.
I will go to the Shakopee apiary on Tuesday and look for eggs on the foundations. They will look like tiny grains of rice, one per cell. It will be my most important clue as to know if a queen reside in the hive, or not.
I have to wait that long, ( I feel it is a very long wait!) 5 days because it takes between 4 and 7 days for the worker bees to accept their queen and for her Majesty to start laying eggs. For that inspection, I will need to use my smoker as the honey bees are starting their new life together forming a tight knit colony, defending their beehive and protecting their queen.
The most difficult part in that waiting "game" is actually not knowing what is happening at the green beehive in Shakopee. However, I have to remind myself that honey bees even if they are domesticated; they are also resourceful and smart. They will not starve because they have some syrup to drink, and a huge pollen patty to eat. In addition, there are many plants that are flowering, and blooming. But they may not stay around , and they will leave when they realise that their queen is no where to be found.

I really hope that her Highness came back home, if it was really her which Ben saw flying away last Thursday. I hope he is wrong! And that his eyes betrayed him.

No comments:

Post a Comment