Raising Honeybees in the Suburbs

After taking a few entomology classes at the University of Minnesota. I discovered with fascination the world of insects, especially honey bees. It will be my seventh year as a beekeeper and I am sure a new adventure as well.

Wednesday, April 14, 2010

The Hives are Ready for the Bees




Yesterday Ben and I loaded the car, and place 3 beehives in 2 different locations. Two were set up in Shakopee, and one in Chanhassen. Those 2 places are very different, one is a field, the other a private garden.

The Shakopee field was still wet and of course not yet planted, so we hauled the equipment and walked along the field, finding a spot which was a little elevated and protected by few trees.

Ben used is great talent ( I am not kidding! Really!), leveling the hive from side to side with the front of the hive slightly lower than the rear so that the rain can drain out. We used rocks that were already scattered around.













Now both hives stand proudly in a place where pollination is greatly needed and will be appreciated.
Next we drove to Chanhassen, where one hive now stands in a wonderful location. It is easier to access and it is near the owners' already prolific vegetable and flower gardens. Ben again used his skill to level everything, and voila!















As you can see those two locations are very dissimilar. Therefore I will be able to compare them as the season goes. I wonder which one will be more successful? In any case, I will try my best to have the honeybees happy and productive!

No comments:

Post a Comment